What is the The Macmillan Challenge?
The Macmillan Challenge is a series of challenge badges designed by Girlguiding Midlands in collaboration with Macmillan Cancer Support. Members of Girlguiding Midlands can earn badges by taking part in exciting events in the area to raise funds, raise awareness and volunteer! From running to dancing to eating cake and lots of Smarties, there is something for everyone!
What are the badges and how can they be earned?
The challenge has six badges and is split into three strands: awareness, volunteering and fundraising. There is one badge to be earned for awareness, one to be earned for volunteering, three to be earned for fundraising and a central badge for taking part. See how you can earn the badges below:
- The Macmillan Challenge Awareness badge – this can be gained by participating in an awareness session that can be ran during your unit meeting. Click the ‘Awareness’ button below to see more information on the Girlguiding Midlands website about how you can run an awareness session with your unit.
- The Macmillan Challenge Volunteering badge – members can gain this badge by volunteering at a public event such as supporting runners at the Great Birmingham 10K or the Great Birmingham Mini Run, Junior Run and Half Marathon. For more information about how to volunteer you can check out volunteering opportunities on the Girlguiding Midlands website by clicking the ‘Volunteering’ button below.
- The Macmillan Challenge Mile for Macmillan badge – girls can have the chance to take part by completing a mile in any way they can think of – the more exciting, the better! Girlguiding Midlands challenge you to complete a Mile for Macmillan in the first term of 2017!
- The Macmillan Challenge Dress Up and Dance badge – Dress up and Dance takes place in June each year. Dress up and have a disco and invite girls to donate £2 to raise some money!
- The Macmillan Challenge World’s Biggest Coffee Morning badge – members can earn this badge by helping to run a Coffee Morning. The official date for the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning is 29th September, but you can run one anytime in the Autumn term.
More information about running fundraising events can be found on the Girlguiding Midlands website. Click the ‘Fundraising’ button for more info.Fundraising
The challenge badges can be ordered using the order form below.Badge Order Form
What else can I do?
You don’t have to just stick to the fundraising ideas above – there are loads of ways you can get involved! How about taking part in the Smarties Challenge? Just eat a tube of Smarties (hard, we know!) and fill it up with donations! One Smarties tube can fit 28 £1 coins in which could fund one hour of care by a Macmillan nurse. Check out the Smarties Challenge flyer by clicking on the ‘Smarties Challenge’ button for more information about the Smarties challenge and even more fundraising ideas!Smarties Challenge
You can also check out the Fundraising page on the Girlguiding Midlands website for lots more ideas. Click the ‘Fundraising’ button below to check them out!Fundraising
What are some important dates I should know?
Any time in the first term of 2017: have a crack at your Mile for Macmillan! 31st March: Deadline to sign up for your physical Dress Up and Dance pack April: Dress Up and Dance physical packs get issued 30th April: Great Birmingham 10K Sign up to volunteer at a Cheer Point by contacting Maggie, our County Commissioner, at email@example.com Get more information about what this might involve here (but please contact Maggie about volunteering!)
8th May: Sign ups open for exclusive Girlguiding Midlands World’s Biggest Coffee Morning packs
- June: Get your groove on at a Dress Up and Dance evening
- 12th June: Macmillan Thank You Event Volunteering.
- Get more information and how to sign up here.
- [NEW] 22nd July: Argos Bucket Shake
- Get more information and how to sign up here.
- August: Exclusive Girlguiding Midlands World’s Biggest Coffee Morning packs get issued
- 29th September: World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
- 15th October: Great Birmingham Run
- 30th November: Deadline for badge orders, monies and fundraising & donation forms.
How can I shout about what I’ve been doing for The Macmillan Challenge?
We would love for you to share what you have been getting up to with your unit on social media or with your local press! The Girlguiding Midlands website has loads of information about how to spread the word, including graphics for your to use and a press release template (as well as some great hints and tips about how to write a press release!). Click on the ‘Shout About Macmillan’ button to check out all the information!Shout About Macmillan
Don’t forget you can also tag us on Twitter with @GirlguidingBham, post to our Facebook page or contact us via our website! We’d love to see what you’ve been up to and share your stories!
Where can I get more information?
There is loads more information about The Macmillan Challenge on the Girlguiding Midlands website, so please do check it out by clicking below!Get More Information
How can I donate?
To donate, simply fill out the form below and send it, along with your donation cheque to Girlguiding MidlandsGet Donation Form
Good luck with your challenge – we can’t wait to see what you get up to!
Our Macmillan Challenge Stories
To see what we’ve been up to so far, check the links below:
If you’d like to contribute a story, please get in contact!
Our Macmillan Challenge Gallery
Make sure to send us your photos for our gallery so everyone can see what you’ve been up to!